Johnstown, Weld County, Colorado
Previously known as Elwell, and Dilley
Section 1, Township 4 North,
Range 68 West or approximately 1 mile west of Johnstown, Weld,
Colorado on the northwest corner of the intersection. This
is a public cemetery which is still in use. All records are
in the custody of the Johnstown Town Clerk. The following is
a short history of the Elwell Cemetery received from the
Centennial-Bicentennial committee. At a UB Church meeting on
November 9, 1901, W. M. Williamson, J. J. Sorenson, and Reverend
J. W. Cleaver were appointed a committee and given full authority
to make a contract for purchasing land and securing it for a
cemetery and paying for the same. The minutes of the UB
Church meeting on September 28, 1902, show the members to be in
accord on purchasing seven acres just north of the Elwell Store
from J. B. Sloan at $20.00 an acre. This area was to be
known as the Elwell Cemetery. Lew Worden, clerk at the
Elwell Store, kept the cemetery records. When he retired,
Mr. J. H. Sloan (son of J. B. Sloan) took over the records.
A cemetery association was formed with representatives from
Johnstown, Milliken, Elwell, the sugar factory, and the Johnstown
Home and Garden Club. Mrs. Lena Kibbey was the president.
Trees were planted, water pipes were installed, irrigation ditches
were put into use. The women of the Garden Club spent a day
raking and had the men haul away the weeds before Memorial Day.
As the congregation grew, people felt the Town of Johnstown should
sponsor and manage the cemetery. Avote was taken and the
Town of Johnstown did take over the cemetery on April 1, 1957.
The name was changed from the Elwell Cemetery to the Johnstown
Cemetery. A perpetual care plan was provided and grass was
planted with the Town of Johnstown furnishing the labor.
Rev. Cora Dilley was buried between the church and the parsonage,
but was later moved to the cemetery. The stone reads "Mrs.
Cora Dilley, wife of Mr. Morrison." She must have remarried.